ASUS ROG Strix G18 Ultimate Review: The No-Limits Gaming Laptop

AH ASUS ROG Strix G18 Review (1)

When it comes to gaming laptops, ASUS is easily among the cream of the crop once you start reaching its upper echelon of flagship models, and the 2025 ROG Strix G18 is no exception. While I haven’t tried every single gaming laptop that ASUS offers, and there are surely a few that surpass the model I have been testing, I can say with confidence that this laptop ripped through any task I gave it. That’s a fitting statement, since the first game I booted up when I got this thing in my hands was DOOM: The Dark Ages, and I proceeded to rip and tear my way through hordes of demons with the graphics set to maximum.

DOOM guy has never looked so good bashing demons in the face and blowing them to pieces with his arsenal of devastating weapons, and it’s all thanks to ASUS and its mastery of PC gaming hardware. But, perhaps I’m getting a little ahead of myself. The ROG Strix G18 is without a doubt a force to be reckoned with. However, it is by no means perfect. It’s expensive, it’s weighty, and just like the Legion Pro 7i we reviewed back in June, it’s not exactly an easily portable machine.

This is the double-edged sword of gaming laptops like this one. They’re incredibly powerful, but you need room for all that power. And that means beefier components, which not only take up more space, they weigh more. All of that said, if you’re the type that’s looking at a laptop like the 2025 ROG Strix G18, you’re likely ok with these things. To some degree, at least. At a price tag of $3,499.99, it isn’t cheap, but you know you’re paying for performance. Let’s find out if it’s worth it.

Specs

ASUS ROG Strix G18 (2025) G815LW Specs
Display Type 18-inch 2.5K (2,560 x 1,600) IPS, 240Hz
Display Aspect Ratio 16:10
Display Response Time 3ms
Processor Intel Core Ultra 9 275HX 2.7GHz
Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5080 16GB, ROG Boost: 1550MHz at 175W (1500MHz Boost Clock+50MHz OC, 150W+25W Dynamic Boost)
Memory 32GB (2x 16GB DDR5-5600 SO-DIMM)
Storage 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe™ M.2 SSD
Dimensions 39.9 x 29.8 x 2.35 ~ 3.20 cm
Weight 7.05 lbs (3.20 Kg)
Operating System Windows 11
Battery 90WHrs, 4S1P, 4-cell Li-ion
Power Supply Rectangle Conn, 380W AC Adapter, Output: 20V DC, 19A, 380W, Input: 100-240V AC, 50/60Hz universal
Network and Connectivity Wi-Fi 7(802.11be) (Triple band) 2*2+Bluetooth 5.4 Wireless Card (*Bluetooth version may change with OS version different.)
Audio Smart Amp Technology, Dolby Atmos, AI noise-canceling technology, Hi-Res certification (for headphone), Built-in array microphone, 2-speaker system with Smart Amplifier Technology
Camera 1080P FHD IR Camera for Windows Hello
Keyboard Backlit Chiclet Keyboard 4-Zone RGB
I/O Ports 1x 3.5mm Combo Audio Jack, 1x HDMI 2.1 FRL, 3x USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-A (data speed up to 10Gbps), 1x 2.5G LAN port, 2x Thunderbolt™ 5 with support for DisplayPort™ / power delivery / G-SYNC (data speed up to 120Gbps)
View Device Specs

ASUS ROG Strix G18 Ultimate Review: Hardware and Design

When it comes to looks, ASUS pours a lot of effort into designing something special for the laptops in its ROG lineup. With the ROG Strix G18 (I have the G815LW model in Eclipse Gray), it’s hard not to look at it and think this is a stunning laptop. ASUS says its shape was inspired by race cars that “personify concepts of being built for powerful performance, maximum speed, and calculated movement.” While I don’t know if I see those design elements here, it’s a beautifully designed laptop. Really, there are a lot of things to enjoy with the style.

Post a Comment

0 Comments